Kathryn's Reviews > The Chase

The Chase by Clive Cussler

Oct 07, 09

bookshelves: 2009, audiobooks
Read in October, 2009

On our travels through the American West, we began listening to this unabridged audiobook as we drove south from Provo, Utah, and finished listening as we drove east from Albuquerque to Tucumcari. We found this appropriate for a thriller that ranges all over the West. (We enjoyed the book, and my special thanks go out to our friend Anita who works with us at the casino for lending this audiobook to us.)

In 1950 a locomotive is raised from the deep, dark depths of a Northern Montana lake, where it has been resting for forty-four years. The novel then takes a very long step back into the past.

Early in 1906, the Van Dorn Detective Agency is contracted to apprehend the notorious Butcher Bandit, who for the last two years has been robbing banks in mining towns, then methodically killing all witnesses before apparently disappearing into thin air.

Isaac Bell is the best detective in the Van Dorn agency. He is tall, flaxen-haired, possessed of a private fortune (he is from a Boston banking family), and at home both when dancing in a tuxedo at a Denver charity ball and when handing guns in dusty Western mining towns. He is also enamored of fast motorcycles, fast cars, and fast women.

Bell chases the Butcher Bandit all over the American West, and the San Francisco Earthquake is pressed into duty in the story before we finally get back to the locomotive in the Montana lake.

I do think the author is a touch too florid in his writing (all the characters have deeply expressive eyes straight from a Crayola box, and an alarming percentage of characters have red hair), but we found this to be a great book to listen to as we drove through the West.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chase.