Davis Aujourd'hui's Reviews > One Morning in Maine

One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey

Oct 07, 09

This book, along with Robert McCloskey's other books, were some of my childhood favorites. This one is a companion piece for Blueberries for Sal. It is a book filled with the wonder and innocence of childhood. It is also beautifully illustrated.

It paints a lovely picture of the beautiful state of Maine. It also paints a picture of a simpler time when worries seemed far away. Sal is the quintessential girl who is going through the rite of passage through childhood. There is a delightful scene when she loses one of her teeth while mucking for clams.

This book can be easily read by young children, though I loved it when my mother read it to me before I could read. I have such a warm memory of those days when my mom was such a nurturing presence in my life. Perhaps you will be able to create such a memory for your own child.

Davis Aujourd'hui, author of the humorous "The Misadventures of Sister Mary Olga Fortitude"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Morning in Maine.