Jill's Reviews > I Drink for a Reason

I Drink for a Reason by David  Cross

F_50x66
Oct 13, 09

bookshelves: audiobooks

First of all, I must apologize to all the reviewers who gave this book a mediocre (or worse) review. "They don't love David Cross like *I* love David Cross" I thought, disregarding everyone who claimed to be a fan who just didn't respond to this particular effort. Now, sadly, I must join their ranks.

Referring to the audiobook: Cross continually goes off-script to berate me for being lazy, rude, insulting to him, and part of the downfall of society because I am listening to the audiobook instead of reading the paper version. This strikes me as willfully ignorant on his part, that he couldn't spend 10 seconds coming up with some situation where "reading" an audiobook would be justified. How about the blind? Are they lazy for not reading it in braille, when I'm pretty sure it's not available in braille anyway? Then again, I had many hours to contemplate this while rudely and lazily driving up to see my friend in hospital in another city.

Still referring to the audiobook, Cross is not the best reader. I like his voice and find it familiar, but starting off the audiobook with H. Jon Benjamin reading was not a good strategy. HJB was a far superior reader!

Referring to the book in general, I hate to lazily toss out the word lazy again, but that's how this collection strikes me: lazily written. Some of this stuff seems to be straight from his stand-up material (except not as funny,) while some is just so self-indulgent and sad, "ironic" or not.

Still, David Cross at his worst is better than a lot of stuff out there, and I must admit that I laughed out loud numerous times. So take that for what it's worth- a find in a discount bin or maybe in paperback if you're a fan.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Drink for a Reason.