Kylin Larsson's Reviews > The Infinite Plan

The Infinite Plan by Isabel Allende

Oct 13, 09

bookshelves: novels
Read in October, 2009

Allende's first novel set in the U.S., this is a great read that reminded me of the scope of The World According to Garp. We meet Gregory Reeves when he is four years old. He's traveling with his family, gypsy style, across the U.S. in a truck with a sign on it: The Infinite Plan. His father is mystic selling answers to those who attend the meeting halls he rents out. His mother is a Russian immigrant who is just as distant in her own way.

The novel spans decades and centers around Reeves and his sister-like friend, Carmen, whom he grew up with as the "gringo son" of the Moraleses, his adopted family. We see the San Francisco barrio, Berkley in the sixties, Vietnam in the seventies, and Gregory finally meeting his own Infinite Plan head-on in the starkness of the eighties.

I was particularly impressed with the point of view of the narration. The majority of the story is told in third person but it occasionally passes effortless into first person. A few of the plot points seem to come together a little too easily but even this doesn't really detract from the story, but only serves to accentuate the broad scope.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infinite Plan.