Sandie's Reviews > The Scarecrow

1331967
Oct 07, 09

bookshelves: thrillers-and-mystery, 2009-books
Read in October, 2009

THE SCARECROW is a two-fold story. The first part takes us into the mind and modus opperandi of a serial killer, while the second takes us into the personal and professional life of Jack McEvoy, crime reporter for the L.A. Times, and the impending demise of not only his job but newspaper business as we know it. The culprit aiding and abetting in both instances is the internet.

Michael Connelly’s story reads like it was taken from the nightly news report. The killer identifies and tracks his victims utilizing the personal information that everyone seems to be so eager to share with their faceless “friends” out there in cyper-space. Newspaper writers are losing their jobs because this same internet can bring the news into our homes faster and can utilize less expensive novice writers straight out of journalism school to produce the copy.
Jack has been given his pink slip (RIF) by the Times, has two weeks to train his replacement before he hits the bricks, and has received an irate call from a woman stating that her “boy” has been accused for a murder he didn’t commit. While investigating her claim Jack and his novice trainee Angela accidently stumble upon a bigger and better story that puts both of their lives in jeopardy. Enter Jack’s one time love, FBI profiler Rachel Walling. Now all the characters are in place and the story really starts rolling.

Connelly has taken some unoriginal basics, added his own particular brand of insight and commentary, then tweeked and twisted the story to give his readers a plotline filled with thrilling scenarios and great characters that will hook you and keep you reading into the wee small hours of the morning. Needless to say, I love Michael Connelly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarecrow.