Amy's Reviews > Girls in Trucks

Girls in Trucks by Katie Crouch

Oct 07, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: at-least-the-writing-was-good, charleston-sc, first-novel-or-book, great-title, bookcrossing
Read in October, 2009

I picked this up because it's by a local author, and set partially in Charleston, and it has a great cover (is she walking away from something or to something, or both.)

Anyhow, I was really disappointed by this book. I guess I wanted something fun and uplifting, but instead got lots of neuroses, a slant on life I not only don't share, but have little interest or sympathy with and a picture of charleston I never experienced. Maybe it's a generational thing, though the author and I share a lot of background details.

However, I will say that I thought this was pretty well-written. I may not have liked the characters in the story, or the plot, but that's the beauty of the world and of books. There's something out there for everyone. When (and if) any of my writings ever get published (first step would be to get off my duff and hawk them. They can't be rejected or accepted if they sit silently on my desk or gather dust in a closet) I know they won't appeal to many. So, should Katie Crouch ever read this or meet me, please don't take my disappointment in the book personally. I admire that you had a tale to tell, told it, and told it well. I would read another book by you, should it come my way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls in Trucks.

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Robson You definitely won't get published if you are not hawking them, lol. Although I have begun hawking my bookcrossing novel and haven't got anywhere yet. It can be very disheartening.

hugs
Debbie

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy Debbie wrote: "You definitely won't get published if you are not hawking them,

Yeah, well, one of the things I promised bumma before she died is that I'd get off my lovely arse and start working on getting the YA one published. She also wanted me to put together a book of the stories about her and life in general. Sort of the stuff on LJ. Then I got pole-axed by my brother's murder. When life returns to some sort of even keel I'll get back to it. I was editing the YA manuscript when I got the call about Heather and Eric being attacked. She's given me some good suggestions and I was incorporating them into the manuscript.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Robson Oh God! So sorry to hear about your brother. Things like that make you wonder what life is all about. I definitely wouldn't want to worry about hawking just yet. You need some time just to get back on an even keel. Thinking of you.

love