Jen Knox's Reviews > Lit

Lit by Mary Karr

Dec 08, 09

Read in December, 2009

Karr's hard-edged poetic voice made The Liars' Club one of my favorite books. In Lit, the voice is just as searing and lovely but perhaps not as consistent. The childhood digressions--nods to her previous works--were the weakest portions of the narrative, but they were brief; moreover, they were easily forgiven when bookmarking transcendent scenes such as one in which a group of illiterate women remind the author of the universality of good poetry. I highly recommend this book to all readers, but notably writers and anyone consumed by art. This is a book for writers and artists, from a poet known for her prose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Donitello Jen, for what it's worth, I read LIT before her other two memoirs, and the childhood digressions actually enriched the whole thing for me.

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Knox It's so interesting. I actually try really hard to be objective, but it's difficult to read an author I'm familiar with and not compare the current book to her previous... I will say, you should definitely read The Liar's Club if you haven't. It sings.

Donitello I'm reading it now. Actually, I've read the trilogy in reverse (not by design -- the library didn't have the first one on the shelf when I went in), which has been very interesting.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Pollock "transcendent scenes such as one in which a group of illiterate women in a group home remind the author the universality of good poetry." My favorite passage also. I read it thought, wow, this woman can write!