AJ's Reviews > Consider Phlebas

bookshelves: sci-fi
Recommended to AJ by: Gordie
Recommended for: Firefly fans
Read in January, 2010

Ack, a 3.5 but 4 stars for effort!

Banks starts this novel out very strong and then propels us into a psuedo-"firefly" like backdrop which really makes your mind jump at all the possibilities of where this story could go. Banks doesn't take you to any of those places though. His ideas are very clever, his world unique, and his path is a little rougher and more inclined to insanity (in a good way of course).

So why only 3 stars? The book gets a little sloppy in the middle and I found that Bank's weakness was in his inability to effectually describe the character's surroundings making me a little lost on certain parts of the story. The story, while very imaginative, is riddled with more than one character cliche. It pops up at you from no where b/c you were too busy rolling around the deep pyschological elements Banks throws at you. So when it arrives it kind of annoyes you.

I stayed with it though and after a brief aimless relapse Banks starts a very steady drumbeat to his shocking conclusion. This book, being his first SF written was impressive and I hear he gets better and develops his world much more with each one. I am looking forward to reading more about the Culture war soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Consider Phlebas.