Vicky's Reviews > Boneshaker

Boneshaker by Cherie Priest

2044729
Oct 06, 2009

bookshelves: steampunk, series-in-progress, favorites, setting-united-states-w, own-audible-library, alternate-history, color-brown, author-american
Read from November 15 to 23, 2011 , read count: 1

Note: This is a review of the audiobook, my notes on the narrators are at the end.

Boneshaker is one of the more creative novels I've read recently - tying together zombies, dirigibles, mad scientists, steampunk weaponry and an overall western feel takes skill to do right, and Priest definitely delivered in her world building.

The story kept me on my toes. I was never entirely sure what Dr. Blue's fate was. I thought I knew and then something would change my mind - something that happened many times throughout the book.

There was a very fun cast of secondary characters, all with their own personality quirks.

I'm interested to see how Priest continues to build her Clockwork Century world, and will be continuing with the series.

Audiobook Review
The audiobook was narrated by Kate Reading (Briar's POV) and Wil Wheaton (Zeke's POV). I really enjoyed Wil Wheaton's reading on Zeke's point of view, but Kate Reading left me wanting more and she didn't quite seem to fit with the world as well as Wheaton did.

As I read through some other reviews, I note that some people complain that they couldn't connect to the main characters or didn't really care about them. I didn't feel this way, and I think the audiobook may have helped lend to that emotion that others didn't feel while reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boneshaker.