Sara's Reviews > Red Ridin' in the Hood: and Other Cuentos

Red Ridin' in the Hood by Patricia Santos Marcantonio

Oct 12, 09

Read in October, 2009

Summary:

Red Ridin' in the Hood is a collection of retold fairy tales from Hanzel and Gretel (Jaime and Gabriela), to Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (Blanca Nieves and the Seven Vaqueritos), to Beauty and the Beast (Belleza y La Bestia). All of the stories within this collection are retold with Latino themes and most have a modern, urban, setting. This book would be appropriate for middle school readers and some intermediate readers.

The story that I chose to read within this book was called "Red Ridin' in the Hood" and is a retelling of the traditional Little Red Riding Hood tale. In this story, the female protagonist named Roja was given the task of bringing several items to her ill abuelita's apartment. Roja's mother gave her money for transportation and warned her to stay away from Forest street, as that area of the city "means trouble". Roja is also forced to wear the ugly, itchy red dress with a high collar that her grandmother had bought her, as it will make her feel better to see her in it. Roja decides to walk to her grandmother's house and keep the money, as she was saving for a new shirt. Not surprisingly, Roja also decides to take a shortcut using Forest Street. While on this street, a low rider Chevy pulls up and Roja talks to a character named Lobo Chavez - who turns out to be the wolf. After suggesting Roja stop by a local bakery for empanadas, Lobo Chavez beats Roja to her grandmother's house where he lies in wait for her. The climax of this story is very much like the traditional tale and just like in the traditional tale, someone comes to save the day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Ridin' in the Hood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Rumohr Sara,

This one sounds so interesting! I love that it's written for older readers because so much traditional literature is aimed at elementary students. Such a creative telling of so many fairy tales! I'd be interested in checking this out and reading it myself. I think the Latino themes make it appealing to Latino students and any other students from an urban setting might be able to connect to this version more so than the other versions I've read.

Thanks for this review!