Brian Callahan's Reviews > Patriots

Patriots by James Wesley Rawles

Nov 04, 09

Recommended to Brian by: Greg Waldbieser
Read in November, 2009

This book should appeal to survivalists and militia-types. Though I found some of the descriptions of weapons and equipment interesting at times, they became tedious as they went on and on. The dialogue was a bit "hokey" and lifeless. I can't remember the last time I used the word "yikes" in a real conversation.

The beginning of the story seemed somewhat plausible but it gradually became less and less believable. The civil war seemed very far-fetched. The characters were a bit too stereotypical and one-dimensional. I like good winning over evil but the only "good" people were depicted as being far beyond the extreme right. I did not like the general lack of respect shown towards most authority figures.

Being a Christian, I was very uncomfortable with the way the characters spouted off Bible verses while also maintaining a strict us-versus-them mentality. I can't say that I necessarily grew to like any of the characters. I'm afraid if I was in the story, I could have wound up being shot or being classified as not being worth enough to keep around. I guess this story had too much of an Old Testament tone for me (eye for an eye). W.W.J.D. was never a consideration for any of the characters. Righteous anger and sterile practicality seemed to take precedence over compassion. That is not the Christian life that I subscribe to.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patriots.