Jordan Price's Reviews > Indigara: Firebird Novella

Indigara by Tanith Lee

Oct 19, 2009

Read in October, 2009 , read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** There were a lot of concepts in this book that seemed like they'd be cool, only I didn't think they meshed with each other well. The main character's sister gets a small supporting role in a film, and the whole family moves out to "Ollywood" while it's filming. The idea that people could go live in a film-world, leaving a naughty doppleganger behind, was a cool one. The futuristic setting didn't necessarily support that core idea, though. What if the story had been set in the early days of film, maybe at the advent of the talkies? What if there were actual historical Hollywood details, and not this fictional "Ollywood?"

Other than the setting not complementing the plot, I was also disappointed in the characterization. The protagonists whole family read like generic "mom," "dad," and "sisters." The protagonist had a sidekick robot dog who I liked -- he was understated in his take on the shifting reality -- but I think I would have been willing to give him up for a realistic setting.

There were also dragons involved, but their connection to the rest of the plot seemed so tenuous that they didn't feel integrated to me.

The structure involved sections that read like set directions and personal logs -- I enjoyed that, but again, probably would have enjoyed it more without the incongruous futuristic setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indigara.

10/06/2009 page 57