The Holy Terror's Reviews > Changeless

Changeless by Gail Carriger

2016128
Apr 02, 2010

bookshelves: werewolves, vampires, steampunk, historical-paranormal-romance, owned, bought-03-10, historical, 2010
Read from March 24 to 30, 2010

Dare I say, better than the first? I do have to give fair warning that the end will make you wish it was September already and you had Blameless in your hands. But, can you really consider that a bad thing? I also have to confess that I actually woke up in the middle of the night and my first thought was of Alexia; poor poor Alexia. The ending is heartwrenching to say the least, it just made me so sad and I can't imagine how things are going to work out. But they have to work out, right? Right?!?

I honestly don't think I can write a review that does this book justice. And I also find it hard to write about the plot without giving something away, so many things are intertwined that I'd worry I'd spoil something. I do have to say that I figured things out a bit sooner than Alexia, but this was well into the story so it's not like it was overly annoying knowing what was going on before she did.

We get to meet some new characters while some old ones stick around past their welcome. I have to say that I'm not that big of fan of Ivy Hisselpenny anymore, she's just not rooted in reality enough for me to be able to handle her in such large doses. And Alexia's sister, Felicity, deserves to be backhanded for her mouth. She has no redeeming qualities and I don't understand how or why Alexia puts up with her. One of the new characters, Madame Lefoux, is a lot of fun. You constantly wonder who's side she's on and what exactly her motive is, without her being antagonistic toward Alexia.

One thing that might confuse readers is actually one of the draws of this series - the steampunkiness. The contraptions and machines described are imagined in great detail, but it's almost as if the book would benefit from some schematics and blueprints in the back. I want to see what this stuff looks like! She does a well enough job of describing things though, it's not as if you're completely left in the dark. I think an art book for this series would be a fantastic idea. With all the different fashions and gadgets and things it'd be so cool to have art to go with it.

The story was fantastic, I love the world and the characters, and I honestly can't wait for the next book. I actually think I'm going to start foaming at the mouth waiting for Blameless!

17 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changeless.

03/24/2010 page 0
0.0% "Oh man, she's already got me grinning on the first page." 1 comment
03/30/2010 page 374
100.0% "AAHHHH!!! No no no no no .... I NEED THE NEXT BOOK NOW!!!!" 4 comments
show 1 hidden update…

The Holy Terror Ohhoho ... guess what I found at work today!

FlibBityFLooB Hehehe. YOu always find the books early! I'm jealous :)

The Holy Terror I'm sad because I can't start it until tomorrow because I've got to get up at the butt crack of dawn. Otherwise I'd stay up all night and read it! Most B&N's should have this by the end of the week!

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right Yeah I bought it yesterday at Borders! I was super excited but now I'm scared to start it for the same reason.

I also made the mistake of adding the third book to my "to-read" list and the first line distracted the crap out of me. Now I'm doubly afraid.

The Holy Terror Yeah, you have to watch out for the spoilers on the next book! I really wish they wouldn't do that. I'm home from school now and have the night off and I think I'm gonna have to break down and start it tonight!

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right I had to leave a message on Gail Carriger's site asking her to soothe my fraying feathers.

The Holy Terror Did you see the video she posted for the cover for the next book? It's on her site somewhere, it shows how the designer created it and it's actually really interesting. She also mentions not to read the blurb but of course I didn't see that until afterward. I'm thinking it's just supposed to get you to want to buy it to find out what happens. At least, that's what I hope!

The Flooze Damn you, Shannon and CJ!! I'm waiting for mine.

The Holy Terror Where'd you order it from? A friend at work ordered herself a copy on Tuesday and it came today! I took hers because she didn't have money to buy it! Hooray for poor friends! Her copy of Succubus Shadows came in too yesterday but I'm going to wait until mine ships from Amazon. I'm not going to read it right now anyway since I'm reading both the new Jenna Black and this one.

The Flooze I pre-ordered from B&N. But I bought Succubus, Bite Me and the new Mercy Thompson at the same time, so I'm sure it won't ship til month's end.

The Holy Terror Oh yeah, probably. You should have just done Changeless in the store. You would have had it by now!

Cathy So jealous! I have it on my calendar for Tuesday, is that the official release date? I need the ebook so I can't get it early.

One of the reviews I saw warned me about reading the synopsis for books 2, and 3, I think, that spoilers were includes. Always tricky if something major changed in the middle of series to write substantive teasers that don't give too much away.

The Holy Terror Yeah, 3/30 is the official release date but it's a soft date so stores can sell it early when they get it. I don't think that applies to ebooks though.

Cathy I think it makes the authors nuts when they put them out early because it messes up the sales numbers for all of the best-seller lists. But how could we resist?! Too bad so far the ebook sales don't count at all. I'd like to support my authors more, but it's too hard to hold a paperback these days (bad back).

The Holy Terror Ah, I understand the annoyance and discomfort of back pain very well. But how does holding a paperback affect your back?

Cathy The pain is in my upper back, plus what appears to be tendinitis in the left shoulder. Holding a paperback open and upright for reading is just a strain, despite lots of pillow support. Also using the iPhone, which I hold in my left hand, for email or Twitter, etc, becomes a strain. And leaning over the computer is the worst, I'm working on a plan to fix that one.

I need to get my big book stand out so I can read some of the paper books I got from the library. I've been lucky to have been able to borrow some ebooks from the library, too, which is great. I'm spending much more on books now that I'm buying ebooks than I did when I borrowed almost everything. Like the Jenna Black book, in the past I'd have borrowed those. Instread I bought book1, and immediately on finishing bought 2-5 (turned out to be good timing, 5 just came out?). With discounts it's about $30 I'd never have spent before. I do miss having them to display, but my current rule is to only by paper of books I know I'll read over and over or continiations of my favorite series. I'd like to be able to borrow more of the books I'm more casually interested in and then buy the ebooks when I want follow-ups faster or something. Anyway, we'll see.

Do you have back problems as well?

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right Shannon wrote: "Did you see the video she posted for the cover for the next book? It's on her site somewhere, it shows how the designer created it and it's actually really interesting. She also mentions not to rea..."

She replied to my post that "all will be well" so now I think I can go ahead and read it lol

Oooo, I'll check that out. I really like the covers.

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right Fabio's Floozy (Michelle M.) wrote: "I pre-ordered from B&N. But I bought Succubus, Bite Me and the new Mercy Thompson at the same time, so I'm sure it won't ship til month's end."

I keep hoping that Strand will have it [Silver Borne:] early because they typically get the publisher's copies. I got the last book (and many others) for half price a few days before the publishing date.

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right Fabio's Floozy (Michelle M.) wrote: "Damn you, Shannon and CJ!! I'm waiting for mine.

And I was pissed at myself for accidentally reading the first line of the blurb from Blameless, too. I'm freaking out!!"

Apparently "all will be will" according to Miss Carriger :)

The Holy Terror Cathy (greytfriend) wrote: "The pain is in my upper back, plus what appears to be tendinitis in the left shoulder. Holding a paperback open and upright for reading is just a strain, despite lots of pillow support. Also using the iPhone, which I hold in my left hand, for email or Twitter, etc, becomes a strain. And leaning over the computer is the worst, I'm working on a plan to fix that one. "

So what do you read on? A Kindle or something similar?

"I do miss having them to display, but my current rule is to only by paper of books I know I'll read over and over or continiations of my favorite series."

That's the main reason I don't buy things that are digital, like books, video games, or CDs. (CDs I'll download [illegally:] but if I buy music I buy the physical copy!) If I pay money for something I want to be able to either display it or get some of my money back by reselling it.

Do you have back problems as well?

Sigh ... yes. Do I actually know what's wrong with me? Not really. I've had doctors tell me I have arthritis and I've had others tell me I have disc disease. I had an MRI two years ago and found out one of my discs is torn, one has a bulge, and yet another is degenerating completely. The pain is mostly in my lower to middle back but sometimes can migrate to my shoulder blades and hips depending on what kind of activity I've done during the day. In 2007, I took 5 months off of work for medical leave to try to find some sort of solution to my problem. I've tried just about every kind of medication there is, from pain pills and muscle relaxers, to cortisone shots and lidocaine patches, to physical therapy and exercise. Nothing has really worked except for maybe exercise, but I'm super lazy and also really busy with work and school being full time. For a while I was taking two to three prescriptions a day but I've given up on everything except for over the counter stuff, I just don't see the point in taking medicine where the side effects are worse than the problem.

So yeah, I understand completely.

The Flooze Back problems...ugh. Disastrous. The parts of me that seem to be falling apart are my knees. Boo, cartilage.

The model on these covers is a shopowner for a Steampunk store, I believe.

message 22: by The Holy Terror (last edited Mar 26, 2010 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Holy Terror Fabio's Floozy (Michelle M.) wrote: "The model on these covers is a shopowner for a Steampunk store, I believe."

O rly? I wonder where?

On the back of the book it says the cover model is Donna Ricci, I don't know if it says the same on the back of Soulless - my copy is boxed up in the basement and I'm too lazy to go look.

edit - ha, Google is my friend

The Flooze Yup! There you go! I think Ms. Carriger buys stuff from there. I read the bit about the model on her blog when I first read the book.

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right Shannon wrote: "Fabio's Floozy (Michelle M.) wrote: "The model on these covers is a shopowner for a Steampunk store, I believe."

O rly? I wonder where?

On the back of the book it says the cover model is Donna Ri..."

OH NO!!!!

You just introduced another awesome steampunk site that I can't really afford!

The Holy Terror Lol. Have you looked on etsy before? I've actually seen a lot of cool stuff there. I looked at the donnaricci site and I didn't really like the jewelry. Etsy, on the other hand, is a dangerous place for me to visit.

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right Etsy is insanely dangerous. I bought a lot of my bridesmaid's gifts from Etsy as well as a few other things (centerpieces, favors etc) and I....*sigh* I love etsy!

The Holy Terror Me too! I bought a really cute purse and some make-up and a bunch of supplies for making jewelry. I was thinking about getting an iPhone case too but there's so much to pick from! There's a lot of neat artwork too, I particularly like this seller's stuff: http://www.etsy.com/shop/0becwinnel0 - so pretty!

The Flooze Etsy is muy dangerous! And it also sucks your life away with the amount of time you can spend exploring.

I liked one or two of the jackets on Donna Ricci's site.

message 29: by Alycia (last edited Mar 29, 2010 08:33PM) (new) - added it

Alycia Shannon,
So envious you already have a copy :) I need to get one!
How is it so far?!?

The Holy Terror I got sidetracked by the awfulness of The Devil's Playground so I've only read about 30 pages so far. I plan on reading more tonight and tomorrow though!

message 31: by Alycia (new) - added it

Alycia I hope it is as good as the first one! Let me know what you think of it.

message 32: by new_user (new)

new_user Shannon wrote: "And for the love of all that's holy, DO NOT READ the synopsis or any blurbs for Blameless if you haven't read Changeless yet! Don't spoil yourself!!!"

LOL! I keep telling people that about sequels. Felicity's family though, Alexia has to put up with her. LOL.

message 33: by The Holy Terror (last edited Mar 31, 2010 02:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Holy Terror She's only a HALF sister.

...

Honestly, I think she's more evil than the villain! Just so spiteful and bitchy and conniving. Complete waste of space if you ask me.

For some reason with this series though there's GIANT HAIRY SPOILERS on each subsequent book. Normally they don't spoil that much, but I make a habit of not reading the blurbs anyway because I like to go into things fresh. Seriously though, they should have disguised things a little better, especially when the synopsis for Blameless was there before Changeless was even out!

message 34: by new_user (new)

new_user Bastards. LOL.

Kelly Shannon wrote: "She's only a HALF sister.

...

For some reason with this seri..."

Can I ask about Lord Macoon? I see you didn't mention him. I have mad love for that wolf and I fear something awful because I heard he was not in this book. Throw me a bone..... Please, Ruff!!!!!

The Holy Terror Oh, he's in the book, just absent for a lot of it. This is Alexia's series after all! There is a sufficient amount of nibbling though. If I had to think of one slightly negative thing it would be that I want this series to be a bit raunchier!

I really don't want to say anything more though.

The Flooze (I will not read this thread I will not read this thread I will not read...)

The Holy Terror There's no spoilers! Don't read CJ's review thread though ...

Kelly Shannon wrote: "Oh, he's in the book, just absent for a lot of it. This is Alexia's series after all! There is a sufficient amount of nibbling though. If I had to think of one slightly negative thing it would be t..."

Thank You!!!!

The Flooze Noted!

::running away::

The Holy Terror You better be reading this book in between posts floozy!

The Flooze :p

Slave driver!

The Holy Terror You know it. What part are you at?

CJ -Doctor can you help me, 'cause somethin' don't feel right Shannon wrote: "There's no spoilers! Don't read CJ's review thread though ..."

Oh yeah, don't read my thread! lol not until after you've read it and then you should hop and over and partake in the madness :)

The Flooze ::whimper::

The Flooze I'd like to point out that, without having read Shannon's review beforehand, I still managed to write almost the Exact. Same. Thing.

And I SO agree on the art book idea.

Now I'm off to other spoilerific threads to weep openly...

Lady Jaye i spoiled my self and i just HAD to read blameless before I read changeless, lol!