Greg Pettit's Reviews > A Long Way Down

Oct 06, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction
Read in October, 2009

Four completely different people meet by accident on a rooftop in London because they've all decided to commit suicide at the same time. This is the premise of Hornby's darkly humorous novel. Each chapter is written from the perspective of one of the four main characters, and it rotates between them for the entire book.

I can see how many people would be put off by the thought of a humorous book about suicide, but Hornby just uses it as a device to explore the different aspects of depression. Here, the characters are almost forced to be humorous just because of the absurdity of the situation through which they met.

Like other books of his I've read, the characters could be described as immature. However, I think there was a little more depth and certainly other interesting things going on with them. They all had a pretty strong voice that came through clearly as they narrated.

The narrative itself wanders a little, as if Hornby didn't exactly know how to get from the beginning to the end, but the end was still strangely satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long Way Down.