Becky's Reviews > Love in a Cold Climate and Other Novels

Oct 06, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fiction
Read from July 15 to 23, 2011

I think knowing that The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate are somewhere between fiction and memoir prevents me from enjoying them completely as novels - I can't stop trying to figure out who each character represents, and psychoanalyzing the sisters themselves. Mitford presents her "Radletts" as a joyful, exuberant bunch, undaunted by their father's weird moods and tempers, and unchecked by their vague mother. Perhaps it succeeds as a window into "U"pperclass British life of the era, but there is no way to tell how far the whitewashing extends--Uncle Matthew's benign eccentricities look a lot like emotional abuse, but then I can't stop looking for the key to where it all went wrong. I just can't help feeling that there's something fundamentally wrong about a group of privileged upper class sisters who've never lacked anything (with the possible exception of formal education) divvying themselves between extremist political ideologies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in a Cold Climate and Other Novels.