PDXReader's Reviews > The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba

Aug 17, 2010

Read from August 06 to 13, 2010

This book sat on my shelf for over a year mostly due to its unfortunate title. It certainly sounded boring! I only read it because it filled a challenge need. I was delighted to find, though, that it was far from dull, and I can honestly say that it's become one of my new all-time favorites. It's one of those books I want to hand to all my friends and say, "Read this. You'll love it!"

Although the book is certainly about Kamkwamba creating a way to generate electricity, that part of his story comes well past the midway point. First readers get to enjoy African folk tales, which are followed by the harrowing story of William's life in famine-stricken Malawi. THEN comes the part about electricity. It's very entertaining, interesting, and exceptionally well-told. The first-person account is by turns moving, funny, horrifying, and, yes, inspiring. I completely enjoyed it and highly recommend it, even to people who don't generally read non-fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind.

message 1: by Gaijinmama (new) - added it

Gaijinmama Sounds intriguing...but yeah, I too would call the title unfortunate.
Adding it to my TBR.

Jessica Hammer I got this book from the library, and read my 'fun' book first, reluctant to crack open what I thought would be a dull and preachy bio.
How wrong I was!