Judy's Reviews > Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express: 404 Inspired Seasonal Dishes You Can Make in 20 Minutes or Less

Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express by Mark Bittman

Oct 05, 09

bookshelves: food-cookbooks
Read in October, 2009

I'm biased. I love Mark Bittman's recipes - they are simple, easy to understand, and delicious. Perhaps best of all, he provides plenty of room for improvisation. This book is the epitome of leaving room for the chef's tastes and flavors to emerge. He basically gives just the gist of the recipe. It's fine as is, but there's room for addition/subtraction. The recipes are very brief - there are 2 - 3 per page.

Here's one called Broccoli Rabe and Garlic Soup: In a 450 degree oven, roast a handful of smashed garlic cloves with a little olive oil for about 5 minutes (I roasted them for 8 minutes). Bring about 6 cups of stock to a boil; add the garlic, stir in about a half cup of orzo or other small pasta, and a bunch of chopped broccoli rabe; continue cooking until the pasta and rabe are tender. Add lemon juice to taste, along with some salt and pepper. Serve, garnished with freshly grated parmesan cheese if you like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Megan I am getting this book tomorrow, no question.

Judy Awesome - let me know how you like it! I love Mark Bittman (I guess I already said that :-).