Christina's Reviews > Ivy and Bean: Bound to be Bad

Ivy and Bean by Annie Barrows

Oct 08, 09

bookshelves: children-read-aloud
Read in October, 2009

This was a delightful little book! I was surprised at how witty and cheeky it was. It is part of a series of Ivy and Bean books written by Annie Barrows, niece of and collaborator with Mary Ann Shaffer (of Guernsey Literary Society fame). I checked it out in an attempt to get a well-rounded look at the authors. My 6-year-old particularly found it hilarious, but the humor was sophisticated enough to draw me in as well. Definitely best for the 1st to 3rd-grade set. We plan on reading more in the series.

Update: My daughter nabbed the 1st book before we could read it together. Apparently, she loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ivy and Bean.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin Maren read several of these a while ago and loved them also, although I must admit I wasn't too thrilled that after she read them she wanted to make potions and be a witch. I've never had a problem with witches in books before, but it just seems different when it's obvious make believe like in Harry Potter than when it's two little girls trying to be witches to be mean to an older sister. The disrespect for parents and meanness between siblings also topped my tolerance level, and I have purposefully steered Maren away from the new ones in the series. So, while they may be funny, I think parents should be warned that Ivy and Bean are not girls you would want your little girl to emulate. After Maren read the first one she was definitely meaner to Joshua and kept trying to find ways to play tricks on him.

Christina Duly noted. The one we read was about trying to be reeeeaaalllly good, then trying to be bad so that they could "reform" each other. Someone *was* tied to a tree and sprayed with a hose, but I'll admit, we thought it was very funny. Maybe I had a rougher childhood :) I'll have to do a pre-read for the next one. Thanks for the warning.