Alicia's Reviews > Confections of a Closet Master Baker: One Woman's Sweet Journey from Unhappy Hollywood Executive to Contented Country Baker

Confections of a Closet Master Baker by Gesine Bullock-Prado

Oct 05, 09

Read in October, 2009

I love memoirs, and memoirs with yummy baking recipes - all the better. This is also reflective and interesting. And the story is intriguing - an unhappy Hollywood executive who found happiness as a lowly pastry chef. It is a bit edgy in places (mostly language), but it's so honest at the same time. And how could I not love this lovely piece:

"I had always been under the general impression that a child both home schooled and religious is dangerous, at the very least, and certainly humorless and easily offended - until I met Kalika and Meeka, the Sand Sisters...

Ray and I decided that home schooling and religious dedication might actually be the only way to raise a child. These two had come out so well."

Sadly, I don't feel I can hand this book directly to my younger girls (ages 9 and 11) to try out the recipes (they LOVE baking) because of the language and edginess.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confections of a Closet Master Baker.