Merrin's Reviews > In War Times

Oct 11, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: sciencefiction, read-in-09
Read in October, 2009

So this was my first foray into the "speculative fiction" side of sci fi. You know, what if the Japanese had won the war, how would the world have been different if blah blah blah hadn't been assassinated, etc. I found this author via the Nebula showcase book for 2009.

And I'm just not sure.

The book was a whole lot of nothing happens except what actually happened in the war, a little bit of "well what does this do?" and a lot of "huh?" at the end, before wrapping things up in two pages of exposition. I liked best the parts that weren't science fiction at all, when Sam, the main character, and his war buddy Wink got into Hawkeye and BJ style antics in occupied Germany. Goonan used her father's journals of what the war was like from the view point of an engineer, actually quoting bits of his journals in the text, and those were also completely fascinating. This is a book that sent me to google more than once, and I definitely appreciate that in a book.

HOWEVER. The science fiction side of it still, again, made little to no sense, and wasn't incredibly well executed. I'm left a little cold at the end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In War Times.