Paul Bryant's Reviews > Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture

Generation X by Douglas Coupland

Nov 23, 12

bookshelves: novels

With some things you know exactly what they're going to be like before you experience them and you hope you're proved wrong. I saw "A Mighty Wind" recently and shouldn't have bothered - good film well made and all, but utterly predictable. As was Generation X. DC is a snappy writer, he's Tom Wolfe's kid brother, and this book should have been a collection of smart essays like Kandy Kolored Tangerine Streamlined Baby etc. It doesn't really leave the ground as a story with characters. And also, really, he is a bit too self-regardingly clever.
So if you don't come from Generation X itself & are therefore reading this out of sheer nostalgia, forget this and check out three funny movies about similar stuff - Clerks, Office Space and Empire Records.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Generation X.

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica Office Space and Empire Records have been added to my Netflix que. Paul must read a lot of book reviews to find out about all these books.

Paul Bryant You must remember I'm gradually adding all the books I ever read here!

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Schirmer He's now turning fifty, and because of this milestone we were subjected to his musings in the weekend FT. I like his style, but completely agree with your verdict. I think I need to revisit Clerks. Thanks, Paul!

Paul Bryant Clerks and (surprisingly) Clerks 2 rock!