Virginia's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Jun 26, 10

Recommended for: doctors! (who should then call me so we can discuss)
Read in October, 2009

I am dying to talk to a doctor friend -- any doctor friend -- about this book. The book opened so many windows -- allowing a rare glimpse into Ethiopia, into surgery (NEVER thought I'd want to read all of that!), then crossing the pond with our protagonist to his life at a hospital in the Bronx.

The second half gets five stars. The four stars are for the first half (which I simply didn't enjoy quite as much), and for the distance I felt from Marion Stone -- somehow I didn't get to know him as well as I might have liked. There was a scene at the end where he pulls a meal from his freezer. The scene is meant, I think, to reinforce some tendency of Marion's, but it was one that had never been revealed before -- I thought, "I should have known him better by now."

Oh, but Ghosh. And Shiva. And Hema... Even Dr. Stone. And Tsige. There were so many to love, or at least to sympathize with.

Virginia
www.booksforthebeach.blogspot.com
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.

Jennifer Hi Virginia! I'm about 1/3 of the way into this book and I'm loving it so far. Can the second half get even better? I'm actually excited that this weekend is forecasted for rain so I can curl up and devour this book.
Jen

Virginia I'm so glad you like it! I enjoyed it more and more as it went along, I think simply because more happens later on. I like when stuff happens. ;-)

From beginning to end, though, I felt like the author gave us absolutely everything he had. I really felt grateful to him for what struck me as an astronomical effort.