Erotic Horizon's Reviews > Dog Nanny

Dog Nanny by Ann Whitaker

Oct 05, 09

Read in October, 2009

4.5 Stars

When your boss tells you he is closing up shop and he is going to climb a mountain – you would imagine you had just about heard it all, and that was just about how Julie Shields felt when she is told she had a month off from work. However unlike us who would be jumping with glee at the thought of a month off from the old ball and chain, not so for Julie – because she needs every penny she can scrap together to get her dream up and running, an animal shelter for pets who are unable to be adopted or not have a home for whatever reason.

Julie’s boss is good and gets her set up with a couple who are at breaking point in their marriage because of two dogs – yes two dogs. Julie is hired to work her magic with these two over grown poodles and with nothing to hold her back at home except a new outlook at men, she jumps at the chance.

From the first moment Julie meets Nick Worthington her new employers pilot she knew she was in trouble, not only was Nick every girls idea of the boy you took home to meet mommy, but he had the whole bad boy smirky thing going on for him as well.

Not there to have a mini fling Julie tosses herself into helping these dogs and that’s when the fun really begins. With a less than helpful Carmen, her employer, on hand, plus Nick railroading her with his own plans every chance he gets, Julie’s time in Waco was becoming one hot tamale.

I had so much fun with this book it’s unbelievable. Firstly I am not a dog person but I totally fell in love with the three dogs in this book and this was down to the author’s vivid descriptions and I think first hand knowledge and love of dogs. The main thrust of the book was really about getting these dogs or at least two of them under control and if you have never seen a slightly ditzy vet tech trying to teach doggie magic before then this is the book for you.

The entire story is told from Julies POV and it is through her eyes that we meet an eclectic bunch of people and run the gauntlet through a wide range of scenes. Julie is a self confessed born again virgin – what ever that means and I must admit it took me a while to come around to liking her as funny as she was – she was the classic “lady doth protest too much” sort of person and Nick fell for her hook line and sinker.

I looked into his blue denim eyes, my
heart pounded and all the warning signs went up.
Guys like Nick were like temporary spare tires,
good enough to make it to the next station, but
unreliable for the long haul…….-

Nick and I were like those Scottie-dog
magnets that repel, attract, or chase each other
depending on which way they’re turned. Tonight
we’d gone in opposite directions. But I could feel
his magnetic field drawing me in. And each time,
the pull grew stronger.

Dog Nanny © Ann Whitaker

I love Nick’s character, he knew when to hold back and be the fun loving person I thought he genuinely was and he also knew when to step up his game and act all alpha male because that was what the situation needed. The best thing about him was his ability to get right to the heart of the matter and of course lays his fears and concerns on the table – I loved him.

I didn’t set out to like this book as much as I did, for one I am not liking the cover – not because it’s not cute and all, but perky covers never does it for me. However this is one book that the pace moves fast and before I knew it was caught up in the trap of Julie’s and Nick’s rollercoaster relationship and I could not look away. Every character made an impression and with a little bit of everything between the covers, romance, mystery, comedy and plain good old fashion jealousy this is definitely a must read – I had load of fun with this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dog Nanny.