LibraryLass's Reviews > The Twilight Before Christmas

The Twilight Before Christmas by Christine Feehan

Oct 09, 09

Read in October, 2009

3 1/2 stars for this one. I absolutely love CF's 'game' series and so was looking forward to the Drake sisters. I read the first one, Magic in the Wind (Drake Sisters, #1), and thoroughly enjoyed it (although I usually dislike short-stories). This one just didn't resonate with me.

What I liked:
I enjoyed the premise of the 7 sisters all have a special gift. I liked both Kate and Matt. I thought CF developed their characters quite nicely. I would have like Matt to have been a little less 'open-booked' about his feelings for Kate. I really enjoyed the relationship between the sisters. I completely fell for Jackson, and love Jonas. Am really looking forward to their stories. So the characters and premise weren't the problem.

What I didn't like:
I think it was the writing style of this one that got to me. No one else seems to have had a problem with it, so it may be just me, but I found the writing style too.... simple (for want of a better word). It reminded me of the Mills & Boon books which I used to devour. The plot was complex enough but everything was too easy. The love interest, the finale, everything was just too nice. There were also moments where the dialogue just didn't flow naturally for me. Moments when a character would say something and then the next sentence would be something completely unrelated with no real segue into it. No thought process from the character to explain why the dialogue wasn't picked up on. I am probably not explaining it too well, but it just had moments of 'clangers' for me. The sex scenes were hot, but their was no real sexual tension, I like a bit of build-up to the sex, but this just seem to go from virginal to totally-into-anything-you-want in one giant leap.

Having said all that, I will still continue on with the series as I am looking forward to everyone's stories. I just hope I enjoy them better than this one

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twilight Before Christmas.