Meg Powers's Reviews > Made From Scratch: A Memoir

Made From Scratch by Sandra Lee

Ugh. I wish I could give this a half star. Her autobiography was co-written. This probably has to do with a lack of any real personal voice. Reading the dust jacket, I'm going to assume that this is a pretty common thing for vapid sort-of celebrities who can't write for shit.

I suppose I have to clarify I knew this would be awful, but I just LOVE the train wreck that is Sandra Lee,and I thought it would be a good goof. I did consider that MAAAYBE reading her autobiography would humanize her to a point where I could no longer yell at the screen as she churns out another 1940s Disney idea of Chinese culture themed "tablescape", and as her pendulous boobs dip into her latest taco seasoning/soup mix casserole slop without feeling a little guilty. She's had a hard life of hunger and troubled household-hopping. HOWEVER, her narration is self-absorbed, self-congratulating dreck, and when she does talk about how difficult her life has been, it's in the vaguest and inhuman way, leaving me completely cold.

No, this was not a good goof. The only funny bits in this book are the constant cheesy quotes, which are obviously taken from a book with "inspirational" written all over it, and the climax where she talks about the incredible and, once again, INSPIRING, poem "Footprints in the Sand." Sandra Lee's autobiography was uncomfortable and downright boring. For good wince-inducing Sandra Lee, stick with the t.v show.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Made From Scratch.