Sarah's Reviews > Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

Feb 11, 10

bookshelves: own, favorites

I really love this book. It's a perfect fairy tale. You get magic, witches, wizards, curses, and a happily ever after. Plus, the characters are fun, interesting and full of witty banter. I also love the chapter names. "In which Howl expresses his feelings with green slime" and "in which Sophie expresses her feelings with weed killer" are my favorites. My only small criticism is that the ending is full of a lot happening really fast all at once so it sort of took me by surprise. Like she smooshed the end of the story together very quickly. I still really really love it though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Howl's Moving Castle.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Diana Wynne Jones
“You must admit I have a right to live in a pigsty if I want.”

Diana Wynne Jones
“Go to bed, you fool," Calcifer said sleepily. "You're drunk."
"Who, me?" said Howl. "I assure you, my friends, I am cone sold stober." He got up and stalked upstairs, feeling for the wall as if he thought it might escape him unless he kept in touch with it. His bedroom door did escape him.”

Diana Wynne Jones
“Really, these wizards! You'd think no one had ever had a cold before! Well, what is it?" she asked, hobbling through the bedroom door onto the filthy carpet.
"I'm dying of boredom," Howl said pathetically. "Or maybe just dying.”

Diana Wynne Jones
“I make that four horses and ten men just to get rid of one old woman. What did you do to the King?”

Diana Wynne Jones
“Yes, you are nosy. You're a dreadfully nosy, horribly bossy, appallingly clean old woman. Control yourself. You're victimizing us all.”

Diana Wynne Jones
“You've no right to walk into people's castles and take their guitars.”