Lexie's Reviews > Feast of Fools

Feast of Fools by Rachel Caine

Spoilers for Book 1 (Glass Houses), Book 2 (Dead Girl's Dance) and Book 3 (Midnight Alley). I should also mention that Books 3 and 4 give really good accountings of what happened in previous volumes. Obviously not all the nuances, but you get the general idea so that you're not flying blind.

Oh Book 4. Usually, by now, I am a little sick of a book series (or heck even a tv series that's reached season 4). Creators will introduce new characters, kill off old characters, put the main character in so much of the same old situations that its like 'X did this just like Y did! Yet the MC fell for it again!' and repetition is not the better part of valor in books. Caine however seems to have found a niche to work well for her. By not having the books cover a large amount of time, and having each subsequent book pick up as if its just the next page in the same story, it feels less like I'm reading Book 4 and more like I'm reading chapter whatever of Book 1.

Mr. Bishop, introduced at the end of Book 3 when Claire's parents made an unfortunately timed move to Morganville (its implied heavily that Amelie had a hand in that, which has disasterous ramifications for her timing abilities if you ask me). I want to feel bad for her parents, but honestly I don't. Up until closer to the end they are really just extreme stereotypes of the overprotective parent. I'll admit they at least admitted the truth quicker then Claire did.

Mrynin continues to delight. I like him so much more then any of the other 'older' vampires. Half-crazy or not he's a wonderfully fun guy to read about. Amelie's shell cracks even further with Bishop's arrival and the implications of that (patricide is never a good idea kids). Oliver isn't actually that bad honestly, but he's still such an oily weasel I have trouble picturing him as helpful.

Romance wise Shane and Claire are dealt a low blow--one of the vamps Bishop brought with him, Yasdere (I think that's how you spell it, my sister has my copy at the moment), has an instant attraction to Shane. She makes it clear that she wants him, he'd better get used to it or she'd make everyone he knows pay for his refusal. Claire is, irrational as it is, jealous of the fact that the vamp chick can mystically FORCE Shane to want her. Eve and Michael are also dealt a blow, but its less of a blow and more of a misunderstanding.

Let me put it this way, the title can be taken one of two ways I think. Once the true purpose of the Feast that Amelie gives for Bishop is known it makes those participating (vampire and human alike) seem like 'fools' because everyone underestimates everyone else and their motivations. If you take it from a historical perspective, the Feast of Fools was a religious holiday celebrated in Medieval times "in which power, dignity or impunity is conferred for a few hours upon those ordinarily in a subordinate position" (source: Catholic Enclyclopedia). Ignoring the religious aspects of it (it has been deemed blasphemous), basically it was a celebration that gave leave to subordinates to act how they pleased towards their superiors without reprecussions. Take that as you will after reading the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feast of Fools.

02/26 marked as: books-owned