Jensownzoo's Reviews > Poison Study

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Oct 04, 2009

bookshelves: 2009-reads, bookstore-physical, ya-sff
Read in October, 2009

I no longer remember who recommended this book to me. I waited and waited to mooch a copy, but it seems like everyone who has it isn't willing to give it up. Finally broke down and got it from the bookstore...and I'm not giving it up.

As the book opens, the main protagonist, Yelena, is in a dark, dank dungeon awaiting execution for a crime she freely admits that she committed...the murder of the only son of an important leader in her country. Actually, she is next up to be executed...but WAIT! According to the code of behavior (laws) of this country, when the Commander's food taster dies the next in line to be executed automatically gets the job. Naturally, the food taster has died and the story proceeds as Yelena learns her new job, adjusts to her new life, and deals with the complications of everyone knowing that she is a murderer...but not knowing WHY she murdered.

This was really a fantastic and fascinating young adult read. I read it straight through without stopping and can't wait to pick up the next part of the trilogy. The only issue I had with the book was that the end seemed very rushed...certain major events were seemingly glossed over in a manner that was incongruous with the rest of the novel. That aside, this is definitely a read that I would recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Study.

JG (The Introverted Reader) Welcome back! I've missed seeing your reviews in my inbox! :)

I have this in a pile of unread books in my bedroom. I really want to get to it soon. Everyone has such good things to say about it.

Hayes I loved it too! Read it soon, JG!