Krys's Reviews > The Demon's Lexicon

The Demon's Lexicon by Sarah Rees Brennan

Oct 04, 09

bookshelves: horror-thriller, monster-hunting, urban-dark-fantasy-paranormal, young-adult, demon-themed, series
Read in August, 2009, read count: 1

A solid three. That's about the best I got for this. The reason? I skimmed through the last 70 pages of the climax. Yeesh.

Don't get me wrong... there were moments of this book I quite enjoyed. The Goblin Market was highly entertaining. The premise was enjoyable, even the plot twist at the ending was interesting. So where did it fail to catch my interest? Shoddy writing and too much detail in between action sequences. It's all well and good to world build and have lots of exposition, but you have to be a little bit better of a writer. This book could have used some workshopping to clean it up and it may have earned a 4 in that process.

I think ten years ago I would have loved this book. That's also in part because back then I wasn't as well read or able to spot hackneyed plots. Many people will love this book. I, simply, did not. It was so-so.

*Bear in mind I blame Suzanne Collins "Catching Fire"... which I haven't gotten out of my head for two weeks now. It's casting a pallor upon everything these days.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Demon's Lexicon.

message 1: by Arya (new)

Arya Suzanne Collins ruins other books for all of us! Oh yes she does! Her Hunger Games and Catching Fire have been the downfall of lesser book which I would "Once Upon a Time" have liked! Totally agree with that part of your review. Do you think Demon's Lexicon is worth reading? I have it, but I'm not sure I'll read it before I return it to the library - what say you?

Krys Honestly Arya, I read it almost 6 months ago...and I barely remember it. There are things highlighted in my brain that I enjoyed, but if you're waning on reading it I would err on the side of not bothering. It wasn't phenomenal. It was a bunch of archtype characters thrown into a shoddy story. Main character reminded me of a stock emotionally detatched badass character from any action story/video game. Read something else, I say.

message 3: by Arya (new)

Arya Great - thanks! Any particular recomendations of "other" things to read?

Krys what do you like?

message 5: by Arya (new)

Arya Well I like fantasy (Hunger Games and Catching Fire are two of my favorite books! I also liked Gregor the Overlander). I like some science fiction (I read the Host, which is pretty much the extent of the science fiction I have read, but it was good, so I would be happy to try another one.) Pretty much anything "intersting" that is not too slow. . .I am not too pacient! I like mystery, (I read all of the Nancy Drew books when I was younger) and I really like stuff about spies, though I haven't read that much of that. . .I watched the TV show Alias and read some of the books written based on that. I will pretty much "try" anything - as long as it is "clean" - no sex. I hope that was helpful, though when I read back over it, it seemed that all I said was that I pretty much like anything - oh and I also like historical fiction! Hahaha. . .I hope you have a recommendation, but if you don't I'll understand. Thanks!

Jamie Hunger games is stuck my head too it was intense that happen to me too are you going to read the sequel lol?