Lexie's Reviews > Sea Glass

Sea Glass by Maria V. Snyder

I'll start off first by saying--omg how much did I want this book? I might be a little biased, since I have adored the series since the very first, but I'm so glad I got a copy a little early. Next, for those of you who haven't yet gotten around to reading Storm Glass (for whatever reason, I don't judge) don't feel that you'll be lost jumping into this second book. The first 100 pages or so of Sea Glass has a pretty intensive overview of what happens in the first book through interactions and conversations. Its not like 'exposition drop', but if you've read or re-read the book recently you'll find yourself skimming passages a little more frequently then in Yelena's books.

The book itself! After the huge revelation in Storm Glass about Ulrick and Devlen's connection, you'd think Opal would be that much wiser. I'm not so certain she is. More cautious, but wiser? Not so much since Devlen manages to trick her a couple of times and Ulrick...well Ulrick is just difficult to deal with. To be fair she has a lot stacked against. Like Yelena, Opal's actions are judged critically through fear, paranoia and the careful manipulation of facts by enemies.

I was happy to see that the whole romance angle was worked out for this book. The synopsis is slightly misleading, but the author purposely had it changed that way so that spoilers for Storm Glass weren't covering the back cover. As much as possible (in a continuous series) MVS tries to keep things vague and 'in the moment' so that spoilers don't ruin a new reader's perception (which is nice since I can't tell you how many times I've picked up the third or second in a series and been spoiled for plot twist major from Book 1).

Janco plays a bigger role in this book then in the previous one. Which made me gleeful. I love Janco (and Ari) and lamented the fact there isn't more of them. Fisk too (a minor character from the Study series that, more or less, worked his way up the supporting character ladder to become pretty important in Sitia) makes several appearances.

What's interesting is to see the unraveling of a society. Between the events of the Study series and the events transpiring around Opal, Sitia is becoming a messy, paranoid country (or at least the leaders are). The Council is making more mercenary decisions, treating each suspicious piece of evidence as hard proof and being secretive. Not for anything, but I can see why the Commander is so reluctant to work with them on allowing magic in Ixia. Ixia might not be the perfect place, but a lot their problems stemmed from magic (Mogkan for instance) and the consequences thereof. The Council stood back for far too long and let things run rampant, their sudden 'we're in trouble, batten down the hatches' attitude isn't being helpful.

If, like me, you pick up a first press release of Sea Glass you're likely to see that on the last page it says 'Stay Tuned for more in Fall 2011'. MVS assured me that the next book is due out in the Fall of 2010, the publishers just printed the wrong year (and forgot her acknowledgements as well). If, also like me, you finish the book and scream that its a pretty important cliffhanger and why are we waiting for a year to find out what happens--take heart in three things:

1) MVS' young adult novel, Inside Out, is due out in the Spring of 2010 from Harlequin Teen. Not set in Ixia/Sitia (but a whole new world), but still. Get a MVS fix where you can.

2) MVS' newsletter (published once every two months or so depending on her schedule) ordinarily has a short story set between the events of books (or concurrent to events from a different character's perspective). Right now a mini-series called 'Ice Study' is under way. E-mail her at any time to get the back chapters and join the list!

3) This is par for the course. Anyone who picked up Luna's original printing of Magic Study and waited for them to put out Fire Study had a cruel awakening when the books switched to Mira (a different imprint), had to be re-released as new trade paperbacks (no more mass market or hardcovers) and THEN Fire Study came out. Almost two years later. Having Storm Glass, and six months later Sea Glass, come out so close together was a wonderful vacation. Welcome back to reality. We still have nothing on the Wheel of Time fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sea Glass.

Quotes Lexie Liked

Maria V. Snyder
“Lying to yourself is easy, too. I know. It's much harder to stay and deal with consequences.”
Maria V. Snyder, Sea Glass

02/26/2014 marked as: books-owned
02/26/2014 marked as: books-owned-read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sa Phuong (new) - added it

Sa Phuong Great review, at first i wasn't sure if i should start on this trilogy, but now i know that i will :D
Thanks