Jes's Reviews > Meet the Austins

Meet the Austins by Madeleine L'Engle

Jul 05, 11

Read in July, 2011

I'm a big fan of Madeleine L'Engle's work. And am looking forward to reading yet another series of hers this summer. I was expecting the plot to be similar to the Time series, but wasn't unhappy with the lack of science fiction in this novel, in comparison. Something I have begun to notice is this: L'Engle slips in a pianist, classical music references and artists in each book I've read of hers. It's almost as reliable as a reference to astrophysics, creation, God, religion and general science or Math. :) I find this consistency of hers to be refreshing, simply because she is able to talk with authority on these subjects, as if she's done her homework.

Vicky is similar to Meg from the Time series, as she is in her awkward teenager (or pre-teen) period. I love how the family works together. I like that Vicky's dad is able to discipline Maggy, because she CERRTAINLY needed it. Reading books like this makes me long to be surrounded be tons of crazy family members. :)

I enjoyed reading this book. As you don't need to continue on in the series, it's a great stand-alone. Also, the publication "the Anti-Muffins" is actually a chapter that was originally published seperate from this book, but has been included again in the edition I read as L'Engle has originally intended it to be read. It definitely adds to the book, and helps you understand the use of the word "muffin" in the chapters that follow. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meet the Austins.