Emma's Reviews > The Luminous Life Of Lilly Aphrodite

The Luminous Life Of Lilly Aphrodite by Beatrice Colin

Oct 15, 09

This is a good book that should be a GREAT book given both the subject matter and the considerable amount of resaerch that has clealry gone into the historical aspects of it. It is highly readable but rather episodic. I was often reminded of the serialised tales of Edwardian woe from girls' comics like the Judy and the Mandy, which in some ways was no bad thing. However I think the opportunity of writing a GREAT novel about the silent film era in Germany has been somewhat squandered by Ms Colin in this instance. The main character doesn't convince as the remarkably smart and attractive person she must have been in order to achieve what she does over the course of the novel. She's quite dull in all honesty.

HOWEVER, turn of the century Berlin is very vividly described and there are great insights into the mood of the various time periods in which Lilly finds herself eg the outbreak of ww1, the Weimar republic, rise of the Nazis etc. It's one of those rare novels that makes you want to take almost every reference and find out more about it.

If there were a 3.5 star rating I'd gladly give it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luminous Life Of Lilly Aphrodite.