Bri Ahearn's Reviews > Blue Plate Special

Blue Plate Special by Michelle D. Kwasney

220947
Oct 22, 2009

Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Three girls, three decades. Michelle D. Kwasney’s Blue Plate Special had me immediately. From the opening to the ending, I was completely drawn in. Each girl’s narrative had its own distinct voice and style. I loved how Ariel’s was verse, the choice seemed to echo the disconnected relationship she had with her mother and even the world sometimes.

The girls’ narratives eventually blend into one, as we learn they’re three generations of the same family. The author places clues throughout the book, and when the realization occurs for the characters, it’s just as heartfelt for them as it is for us. I didn’t mind that I knew where the narrative was headed, because with this book..it’s not the destination that matters, it’s the journey, as it travels down adolescent roads of heartbreak, healing, and loss.

The historical elements, music, cultural elements weren’t just a gimmick, they functioned so well within the book, the situations the girls’ encountered influenced by the context in which they took place.

Blue Plate Special has some complex characters, and Kwasney wrote them so convincingly. Even when I knew I should be disgusted with a particular person, she’d give them an attribute that would endear them to me.

Bottom line? I loved, loved, this book. It hit me in a way that few books do with its theme of mothers, daughters, and the many shades of love. This is Chronicle Books’ first YA novel published, and if this title is any indication, it will be a great line. Now I have to seek out Michelle D. Kwasney’s other books.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Plate Special.

10/05/2009 page 73
24.01% "Really liking it"
10/05/2009 page 291
95.72% "Whoa emotional doesn't describe."