Alisha Marie's Reviews > The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

Apr 28, 14

bookshelves: classics, books-i-own-that-i-ve-read, children-s-books, read-in-2014
Read in April, 2014

This is one of those classics that I just have to say that I officially don't get why they're so popular. Well, that's not necessarily true. I think had I read this when I was a kid I probably would have liked it a little more, but still I don't think I would have been enamored by it. In fact, I found myself perpetually bored by reading it.

I found Tom Sawyer to be a bit of a brat. Then again, I've never been one for the bad boys, so that could be why I wasn't loving him. I was also bored with the overall angst-filled relationship between Becky and Tom. I found myself thinking "how OLD are they?"...And then I found myself thinking "God, I'm old." (Apparently, now that I'm in my mid-twenties it all goes downhill from here).

The one thing that I can say for The Adventures of Tom Sawyer was that it was written in a breezy, easily readable way. As someone who tends to get bored with classics due to its antiquated writing (yes, yes, I know that the antiquated writing is why they're considered classics. But if it takes me half hour to decipher what the writer is trying to say, the enjoyment of reading fades a bit for me), I loved the fact, in terms of writing, what I saw was what I got.

So, I found The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to be a bust for me. Seeing as how I found Huckleberry Finn to be the only intriguing character in this book and the fact that I think I'm starting to like Mark Twain's writing style, I'm planning on checking out The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I've heard people say that that book is superior to this one. Here's to hoping.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

04/28 marked as: read