Kristine's Reviews > NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children

NurtureShock by Po Bronson

Jan 07, 15

bookshelves: self-help-type, book-club, parenting, i-own, non-fic, favorites
Read in October, 2009

So far is one of my top 3 parenting books I've ever read. Scientifically backed studies on child development that go against everything you thought you knew was best, well not all of it was new -- but it was all still good.

FYI - this book was not written by child psychology experts, but by two journalists in the child psychology field whose "niche" is to report on studies that have gone unheeded.

There are ten chapters, each reading like its own essay:

1. The Inverse Power of Praise
7. The Science of Teen Rebellion
8. Can Self-Control Be Taught
9. Plays Well with Others
10. Why Hannah Talks and Alyssa Doesn't

There was A LOT I loved about this book. One of my favorites was the chapter on race. Basically the conclusion is that while non-white parents talk about race in their homes most white parents don't. They (white parents) just assume if you don't say anything, that kids will know that everyone is created equal; in fact they aren't even pointing out we are different - so saying nothing is better than accentuating it. Right? The problem is if you don't help young kids (think 3-6) think through this they'll make their own conclusions about why people have different color skin, which could lead to some problems.

So after I read that chapter I sat down and decided to test it. I asked Ellie what color skin she has and what color other people have and why. She says, "There is white and brown and black. Other people have brown skin because they like it the most." So I asked her does that mean she likes white the most? "Yes."

Hmmm. Yikes. I guess it doesn't hurt to explain to little kids that some people are from different lands/countries where EVERYONE is that color. And in this country usually you have the color of skin of where your grandparents came from. It's like family.

I am planning on using this book for next time I host a bookclub.

38 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read NurtureShock.

10/03/2009 page 100

Rebecca This sounds like a good one for me to look up, Kristine! Thanks for sharing!

Garnet Oh my goodness. Kristine. I read this book on your suggestion. I read it cover to cover in no time flat. And I LOVED it. I'm trying to convince everyone I know to read this book so that I can talk about it. And I really want to read it again because I don't think I've had enough time to really consider some of the ideas and let them fully sink in. Fascinating! I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to quote your review in my blog because it truly motivated me to go get the book and so why rewrite it when you've done it so well! Thanks!

message 3: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy I really need to check this site more often. Thanks to Garnet's blog, I came here to read your review and I think I am going to go read this book right away. It seems I am always in need of new parenting strategies so I am anxious to devour this book. Both of you are such great parents anyway, I think I can trust I will love the book just as much as you guys did.

message 4: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Kristine,

I went to my library and they used to have a copy but someone checked it out and ruined it so now they won't get another copy unless that person pays for the cost to replace that book. I am so disappointed!! I think I will look at my local bookstore and see if they carry it.

Kristine hmm, I think I would wait until it came out in paperback. I'm not sure it's worth buying hardback.

Laura What are your other two favorite parenting books?

Kristine Laura wrote: "What are your other two favorite parenting books?"

Wow, Sorry Laura, I never answered your question. My other two favorite books are Parenting With Love and Logicc (& the free class I took at the library) as well as The Happiest Baby on the Block: (just because it had info that *worked*)