Amelia, the pragmatic idealist's Reviews > Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Well guys, for over a year I had a review of this. I gave this book 1 star, so to say the least, my review was not positive. But see, I got tired of constantly having to delete all the "troll-screaming" comments, so I ultimately removed the review.

The reason I didn't like this book is because it was one of the first YA titles I ever read, and I was really put off by the content. That's my prerogative. I know that probably sounds like a revolutionary concept, but whatever.

If you are curious about the book, I'll refer you here:
48 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Lovely.

message 1: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna wow.. u write alot... bty hav u read the vampire academy series? its really good. its my 2nd fav after PJO duh!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist lol my MORTAL INSTRUMENTS reviews are like 3x longer! not on purpose, mind you, but still...

message 3: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna did u read the second part of my message?

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist yeah... lol i was a little confused, like "whoa where did that come from?" hahaha btw have you read this book--wicked lovely i mean?

i've heard of them...but idk i've never really been into the whole vampire subgenre, so idk...

message 5: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna nope, sud i?

promise ull read them? they dont make too many references to vampires, its sorta like normal ppl, but the story ir really good, its like tied with PJO for my fav series.. thats how good it is

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist NO YOU SHOULD NOT!!! lol take a look @ my review.
okay i promise (PINKY PROMISE!!! :P)

is this the one with the guy named "dimitri?" i <3 that name!

message 7: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna ok i wont!

yea its the one with dimitri! he is hot, at least in my head.... tell me when u start the first one kay?

♫♪Kristenn҉ Lol I didn't love the book either. But I didn't hate it.

On the other hand, I did hate the third book. UGH.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist i read a synopsis of the 3rd book. i must be wound pretty tight because i nearly fainted when i read it. :P

Snorkle I'm glad that I'm not the only person who gave this book 1 star. I did not like this book at all.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist i hated it!!! but like everybody else likes it, though, so idk... that happens a lot. i totally hate books that everybody else likes :P

I am Bastet Haha, I actually liked this book, but I totally agree with you that Keenan was CREEPY AS A STALKER. And I admire you for putting up reviews of books you don't like, even when everyone else does like them. :)

Audrey (holes In My brain) omg, I absolutely hated keenan too! on my blog review, that's all i ranted about. I'm so glad i'm not the only one.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist hahha thanks Isis, my fellow Katsa-slapper :DD
And Audrey, I'm going to go search for your review right now! You're certainly not the only one!

I am Bastet LOL Katsa-slapper. Heck yeah!

Jessie I din't hate Wicked Lovely, but I do love your review of it! I didn't think either guy was attractive, and a definite no to sex in YA books! It's supposed to be for teens, so why are authors encouraging it, especially without commitment (Katsa!). Thanks for your honest reviews. I really love reading even about the books you hate.

Jessie P.S. I picked up Fragile Eternity from the library and was disturbed enough myself not to finish it. I read a review where someone was trumping up how good it was that it didn't look at eternity with one person as a good thing (like Stephenie Meyer's books), but looked at it as a not-so-desirable proposition. If a long time commitment is a problem than you aren't really in love, or you have some other issues...

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist You said it! Hahaha. I read a synopsis of it and distinctly remember saying "ewwww."
:D Good to hear from you! I'm going to go check out your review now

Ellen I honestly think its a personal prefrence to casual sex. Some people agree to it and others dont. Just because the author uses it doesn't mean she agrees to it.
But I did find your review rather funny.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

lol. Good to know. I was debating reading this when just out of curiosity I read the author Q&A in the back. It kinda weirded me out a little so I was still undecided. I don't think I'll read it now.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Hey Mandy! Usually I don't like to totally dissuade people from reading certain books - to each his own and all that - but this one just sucked for me. And if I can spare someone else a crap-fest, I'm happy to do so!
And yeah, I read Marr's Q&A too...maybe that should have been a warning sign! Some authors are just weirdos, and so their writing reflects their weirdness.
If you like faerie fiction, I'd recommend WONDROUS STRANGE - it's actually entertaining, hilarious, and not over-the-top :P

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. Actually I'm not usually into fantasy/paranormal books. I mostly thought about it because I liked the cover. I might give Wonderous Strange a try though. :)

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist I hope you do!! It's excellent!

message 24: by P.E. (new) - rated it 5 stars

P.E. Hey, I really liked this book (I don't have a problem that you don't like it, I'm fine with that!) and I was wondering if you could add besides disliking all the characters, and the sex, what parts you don't like? What kind of surprised me is when people said this was a romance, because to me, it wasn't one. Oh, and I like Wondrous Strange too.

message 25: by *Miss Fame* (new)

*Miss Fame* I haven't read this book and probably won't but I nearly died at your Carfax statement! HILARIOUS!!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist thank you! Hahaha I hoped it wasn't too risque, but good gracious! Carfax!

Asenath So I read your review and glanced through the comments--I'll have to read Sabriel and Wondrous Strange this summer. Wicked Lovely definitely wasn't a favorite of mine, but I did think in the beginning it had a good story question. If only the author didn't make such creepy/annoying characters, the premise could have been ok.

And I completely agree with your comment about authors staying from casual sex in books. It's awful! Have you read The Dark Divine? I'd be interested to know what you think of it...

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist hey!
Yes, I did read THE DARK DIVINE and reviewed it a few weeks ago - and I absolutely LOVED it! I bet you will, too :D

★ Jess I love this review.
I read the book, and I agree, it wasnt romantic.
I gave it 3 stars, which means enjoyable. But yes, there were lots of things that were disturbing, and I should probably lower it down to 2**.

And creepy Seth, with a face full of piercings.
I think I would rather a sparkly vampire, then creep-Seth

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist hahaha yep, sparkly is looking pretty good right now!

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I've never read this book, but this is the greatest thing I ever read :) lol

message 32: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark Rock on.

I actually avoided WONDROUS STRANGE for the longest time fearing it might be similar to this horror.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Lol, have you read WS yet? I think it's worlds away better. Not only is it cleaner (always a plus for me), but it just seems more intelligently written and substantial. I thought it was extremely clever :]

message 34: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark Oh, yes, I have. Read DARKLIGHT as well and just waiting for TEMPESTUOUS:) Oh, and ONCE EVERY NEVER and STARLING:) So much better.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist You've read ONCE EVERY NEVER? Wow. So you enjoyed it, then?
I'm reading DARKLIGHT right now. The characters are a wee bit more "dramatic" than in WS, but it's still a fun read :)

message 36: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark No, very anxiously awaiting it! Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, a bit more angst in DARKLIGHT. And the teensiest smidgeon of romantic conflicts. Still, I liked it.

message 37: by Megan (new)

Megan Thanks for this review (which, I have to say, was amusing, and Sabriel is one of my all-time favourite books)! I was considering looking into this series, but I'm very hesitant with YA romance lately because there's just so much sex and it drives me crazy. :/ You don't even get a warning since YA is supposed to be, well, younger-reader friendly! Alas... So, thank you for giving me my warning. ;)

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Aww, thank you for your comment! And you are most welcome. I can totally relate to that feeling of being surprised in a bad way, and so I'm happy to give heads up :D

message 39: by « Dani » (new)

« Dani » Gah, I was seriously thinking about reading this book. But since I'm only in my VERY early teens, im DEFINATELY not interested in to much sex in novels. eep! turns my stomach :S
thanks for your review!

message 40: by « Dani » (new)

« Dani » oh and P.S just read another review. Oral s.e.x, uurrgghh. just. gross. not even going to look at it in the stores now!!

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist oh sweet young lady, you are so wise! You could bottle some of that wisdom and sell it to other people your age :D
Personally, I think you made a good decision *but* besides content...there really wasn't much to the story. It just wasn't that good. IF you're interested in faerie fiction (and you may not be, which is cool) I'd recommend the Wondrous Strange trilogy by Lesley Livingston, Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton (amazingly cool book about Celtic mythology) and - though they're not my personal favorites - the Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa. But yeah, this series really isn't anything special (in my opinion). And it's nice to meet you!

message 42: by « Dani » (new)

« Dani » nice to meet you too. I do really like Faerie books, and i have heard of Wondrous Strange & Iron Fey (which i have added to my 'to-read' section. I'm going to look up Tyger Tyger now, since I have never heard of it. Thanks a heap (: !

Angelic Wow, liked ur review even though I really liked this book. Read it last year. When I consider a book I always read the "i don't like" reviews. They are usually more sincere. Read WS books too. Waiting for book#3. And also read the Iron FEy series (hoping for book#4) I'm going to look at the other one u mentioned. Thanks! If u have anymore please tell.

Amelia, the pragmatic idealist Thanks! And hey, I do that too! I totally agree about them sounding more sincere. Sometimes "nice" reviews sound fake, lol :P

Juveria banu gosh! i totally agree wid ya...a real boring book...!!

message 46: by Emily (new) - rated it 1 star

Emily I could not have said it better.

message 47: by Angela (new)

Angela Oliver I read about a half dozen pages and gave up. The writing was terrible. I don'y remember any of the plot. Ended up donating it to my work library. Where it's still sitting on the shelf, unread by anyone.