smetchie's Reviews > Miss Silver Comes to Stay

Miss Silver Comes to Stay by Patricia Wentworth

Dec 23, 09

bookshelves: changed-me-forever, mystery, starry-starry-eyed
Recommended to smetchie by: Seth Ball
Recommended for: people who like to feel happy
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

Apparently, I like cozy mysteries! Who knew? Typically they bore me to tears but these are different.

I started falling for the idea of this series when I saw one of the 40s-style covers on a friend's "currently reading" update. Then that friend started posting quotes from the books and I was completely taken in. Patricia Wentworth is a brilliant writer. But she doesn't try to bludgeon you with her brilliance. I've now read several of these and they are all lovely. They make me happy while I'm reading them and they end just right. The author doesn't jerk you around or try to make you feel miserable or anxious. Everything is prim and oh so English in a tea-and-cakes sort of way while just beneath the surface, all manner of smut is alluded to with a wink and a smile and a biting wit.

"Her name is Maud Silver. Louisa says she has solved many difficult cases besides being an extremely expert knitter."
The Benevent Treasure

"She wondered, as she always wondered about any new young man, whether he could dance. Such a lot of nice boys couldn't, and the boys that could weren't always the nice ones."
Miss Silver Comes to Stay

"It could have been Joseph. When had she ever heard him come or go? He walked like a cat - an admirable thing in a butler, but not if he used it to prowl in secret passages and come drifting through one's bedroom at dead of night."
The Benevent Treasure

"One bar of an electric fire burned on a hearth which had been built for better things. In front of it, with that air of despising his surroundings which is peculiar to his race, sat the cat Mactavish. He had just completed a meticulous toilet. His orange coat recalled the best Dundee marmalade. He looked down at the electric fire which he despised and waited for Felix or Penny to come and bone a herring for him. He had a passion for herrings, but he did not consider that either of the two older ladies was to be trusted in the matter of bones. A saucer of fish prepared for him by Miss Cassy had already been rejected."
Through the Wall

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Silver Comes to Stay.

10/03/2009 page 0
10/04/2009 page 151
72.6% 1 comment
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by smetchie (last edited Oct 05, 2009 08:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

smetchie not directly, but i'm giving you credit. You're enthusiasm about the series recommended it to me.

smetchie I actually adored it. It's a lovely book. I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I love how the writing is so prim and yet there's all kinds of smut being alluded to. I don't read a lot of mysteries because they typically bore me to tears. I don't care who did the crime or I already know and I don't finish them. But this was different. Are they all sort of like this: With everything turning out just right and everyone getting what they deserve in the end?

smetchie I love it! I plan to read more. Thanks for recommending them even though you want to reject my acknowledgment. hrmph!

message 4: by smetchie (last edited Oct 05, 2009 09:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

smetchie Yeah, cozy mystery sounds kinda lame. But I started falling in love when I saw that one cover, and then I was completely taken in by those quotes you posted. I get so tired of stories that overwhelm you with....oh what am I trying to say?!?! Like, I read a lot of books and love the writing and it's beautiful and thought-provoking but it's like the author is trying to bludgeon you with their brilliance. And that's just not very much fun. This author is subtly brilliant. I don't know if that makes sense. Like you said it's just a cozy mystery, but if it were more I think I would have given it 5 stars.