Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Walls of the Universe

The Walls of the Universe by Paul Melko

Sep 09, 2011

bookshelves: sf, 2010
Read from July 02 to 06, 2010

What if your double from a parallel universe showed up on your doorstep one day? What if said double turned out to be an asshole of epic proportions who shunted you into another universe while he usurped your life?

That's the problem John Rayburn is facing in The Walls of the Universe. His double, John Prime for clarity, tricked him into using his malfunctioning transporter device. Will John be able to fix the wreck Prime has made of his life when or if he can fix the device and make it back home?

The Walls of the Universe was a lot better than I anticipated. Prime and Rayburn contrast in interesting ways. While Prime tries to make money right away by "inventing" the Rubik's Cube in Rayburn's home universe, Rayburn tries to stay out of the way of things in the universe next door while he studies the device... until he accidentally invents pinball.

The villains are invisible for most of the novel and seemed a little tacked on, though the idea of sinister Germans always appeals to me. The supporting cast was fairly well although I can't really see both Johns being so enamored with Casey. Grace was easily my favorite of the supporting cast.

The ending leaves things open for a sequel. It was hinted that John's device isn't related to those of those the enemy use, and the are hints of universe-hopping civilizations that could be used for further stories.

The Walls of the Universe was a fun read and should appeal to fans of dimension jumping, parallel universes, and the like. If you tried Neil Gaimain's Interworld and found it lacking, this might be what you need to soothe your wounds.
31 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walls of the Universe.

07/02/2010 page 1
07/04/2010 page 105
27.0% "Digging the hell out of this"
show 10 hidden updates…

Nancy This looks like something I'd enjoy!

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Nancy wrote: "This looks like something I'd enjoy!"

It was an easy read. I'm hoping Melko writes another one.

Kwesi 章英狮 Interesting.

message 4: by Traci (new)

Traci This sounds pretty good. I'll have to see if our library system has it, and if not, might have to see if we can get it. Thanks!

message 5: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Dan, I've now read a lot of your reviews since we've been friends (and enjoyed them) and am totally convinced that you should be writing blurbs for novels or at least go into advertising for a book company. If this is not not what you do already then a publishing house is missing out!

If I saw this

on the back of book, it'd be straight in the amazon shopping cart!

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "Dan, I've now read a lot of your reviews since we've been friends (and enjoyed them) and am totally convinced that you should be writing blurbs for novels or at least go into advertising for a book..."

Thanks. That's pretty much what I'm shooting for when I do the summary/teaser at the beginning of my reviews. I don't want to give away too much.