Krys's Reviews > Hunted

Hunted by P.C. Cast

The fifth book in the "House of Night" books was a weird read for me. First off I read it about a year after I read the first four (all in one week)... I'm not sure if this distance provided a disconnect or if it was just coincidence... but this book was not great... it was merely ok. I felt like within the whole of the series it was the dreaded "middle" book... allow me to explain.

Many series fall into the middle book trap. In the middle book much of the worldbuilding and exposition is already established... The characters have ground well worn grooves into our hearts...and the plots have arced as high as they are expected to go... What does this do for the middle book? Well, yes it serves as a transition between the beginning and the conclusion of many story plots and (possible) growth within characters. But as a series the middle book is traditionally that.. a middle book, with all of the expected "Blahs" intact.

This book was such a middle book it hurt. After waiting a year to delve back in (I know, I'm six months late) I wanted to slip back into the familiar formula and spend some time with my beloved vamp characters...only to endure a terrible first half of the book... I mean, come on, they spent nearly 200 pages underground avoiding the godlike baddie that emerged in Untamed. Hello, JK Rowling much? (I wanted Hogwarts in book 7 and what do I get instead? 250 pages of camping... same thing here). When the book finally started to get good was when the characters found their way back to school to see how much everything had changed aqnd by then I was gone... the only thing holding me to the words was the romance developing between Stark and Zoey and the idea that maybe the next book will take place within the school again. That's bad. Because I do enjoy these books, alot.

Will I be rushing to read Tempted anytime soon? Maybe, but not next. I need to get re-interested in everything. Damn you, middle books! Why must you fail to intrigue me?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunted.

12/01/2009 page 76
16.96% "I like these books...they're quick and easy candy reads."
12/02/2009 page 130
29.02% "I'm getting sick of reading the words "brown pop, boobies, and poopie" in this book...but I love it."
12/03/2009 page 163
36.38% "Finally, out of the underground and back to the school. JK Rowling, much? *eyeroll*"
12/08/2009 page 230
51.34% "Begrudgingy picked this back up because I left Xisle at home. getting better though."
12/09/2009 page 295
65.85% "finishing this tonight, I'm sure."
show 2 hidden updates…