notgettingenough 's Reviews > Tales from Shakespeare

Tales from Shakespeare by Charles Lamb

Oct 02, 09

bookshelves: childrens, drama
Read in January, 1966 , read count: 5

I vaguely recall some years ago Venezuela set up a government department called the Ministry of Love. The idea was to inculcate in poor women the understanding that their babies from the very moment they were born would respond to any stimuli. Poverty shouldn't stop mothers from giving their babies experience of smell and sound and touch and...

My parents certainly wanted that for us. Knowing how poor we were when I was little, I still marvel at the amazing opportunities they conjured up for us to experience so much of the world in an utterly non-judgmental fashion. There was nothing we wouldn't go to, car races or the football as readily as the art gallery or the library. But for me the best, the most wonderful thing we did, was theatre.

I was maybe seven, and the oldest of four children, when we went to our first Shakespeare. We were so lucky that my parents had a brilliant understanding of how to make this easy. We always read the story - Charles Lamb, of course - first and we'd discuss it.

Then my father would play a game with us. He knew quite a few Shakespeare plays by heart and we'd get to test him. Well, being the oldest and best at reading, I got the supporting role. I'd read a line from the play and he'd say who said it and when. He was always right, I'd be reduced to trying things like 'Halt' and we'd wait with breath bated while he decided if that was guard one or guard two. It was exciting!

Once we got there, we'd sit in the front row, entranced. How could Shakespeare not be the most wonderful thing after that start?

14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales from Shakespeare.

Hazel How lucky you were- not least because you recognise it.

notgettingenough Hazel wrote: "How lucky you were- not least because you recognise it."

Indeed, Hazel! I've never taken it for granted for a moment.

Samy Ismail Amazingly touching review
It was nice of you to share these memories :)