Carolanne's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

Jun 23, 07

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, worththere-read, love-love
Read in June, 2007

WOW. THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING!! Sarah, you are right!!!
I cried and cried and cried. I don't know what was sadder, the ending or the part were he kills all the zoo animals after the bombing.
I am going to name my first male child Oskar Schell. I really am. I love him. I don't know if I ever loved a character so much. Not even the Weasley Twins. Probably Albus Dumbledore.
AMAZING.
This restores my faith in literature because I’ve been feeling pretty blue lately because I haven't read any books that I’ve felt passionately about, each book has been page by page by page barely making it to the end. Not this one.
I checked out “Everything is Illuminated” today and I can’t wait to read it! Although, now I have really high expectations.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Quotes Carolanne Liked

Jonathan Safran Foer
“Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.”
Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Jonathan Safran Foer
“I tried the key in all the doors, even though he said he didn't recognize it. It's not that I didn't trust him, becuase I did. It's that at the end of my search I wanted to be able to say: I don't know how I could have tried harder.”
Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

message 1: by Carolanne (last edited Jun 24, 2007 12:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carolanne SPOILERS SPOILERS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I had to actually put the book down for a moment because it was so heartbreaking when we find out about the dad's calls.
And at the start, I was really pissed off with how much freedom his mom gave him too and how all these strangers were just so nice, but then you get to the part were the mom already knew and that made me feel better. I loved all those people who houses he went to though!
And the bombing scene was really really really horrible, that is for sure. Especially when the zoo keeper who eyes had melted shut told him to kill all the animals. I really cried at the point because I already hate zoos and animals in cages.
I was pretty mad at these people by the end of the book: 1) the author- I really wanted to know what was in the lockbox!! I realize that we aren't really meant to know and all that jazz, but I still wanted to know really bad. I just didn't read three hundred pages of a book about a key and not get to figure out what the key unlocks.
2) God.
3) I was still kind of mad at the mom for being so lame, I thought she really got the short end of the stick and when Oskar said he wished it would have been his mom instead...well, I couldn't really disagree because his dad was so cool!
4) Mr. Black (the old man) because who just leaves a kid to go off on his own? He considered him a son? Then he would have been there making sure he was all right. And was he gay or was he going for the crazy lady at the top of the Empire state Building? (not that that is really important or anything)
5) Thomas Schell the first. A) Because I hate reading things that have no paragraph indents and B) still totally not cool with him leaving his family. And lying to his wife.

Of course, I understand all of this stuff happened for a reason and made it so Oscar could continue on with his journey and blah, blah. But still!