Lars Guthrie's Reviews > The Looking Glass Wars

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Oct 03, 09

Read in September, 2009

I remember reading about this when it came out a few years ago. Then, recently, a twelve-year-old recommended it. I looked up Beddor, and found out he produced 'There's Something about Mary,' definitely NOT a selling point for me. But maybe I should re-examine some of those stupid Farrelly Brothers comedies. I certainly thought 'The Looking Glass Wars' was an enticing project that Beddor carried off with aplomb (and some fun sophomoric humor). It was especially fascinating for me since I had recently read Adam Gopnik's 'The King in the Window,' which also has an 'Alice' connection. And not too long ago, I was impressed with Bryan Talbot's 'Alice in Sunderland.' Put the three together with the Lewis Carroll books and you'd have a fascinating little seminar. Made me want to look for more connections, like Siri Hustvedt's New York Times article on migraine (http://migraine.blogs.nytimes.com/200...), as well as read Beddow's accompanying 'Seeing Redd!'. Finally, any kidlit book that references 'Taxi Driver' ('Are you talking to me?') is OK by me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Looking Glass Wars.