Ana De Leon's Reviews > Upstate

Upstate by Kalisha Buckhanon

Oct 16, 2009

Recommended to Ana by: No one.
Recommended for: Those who have (or have had) a loved one in prison
Read in May, 2008 , read count: Once

Never in my life have I read and actually relish a romantic novel, but Kalisha Bukhanon made it possible with this book. It is written in a letter format which I didn’t really like at first because I wasn’t use to the idea. Throughout the course of the book, though, I found it to be a great choice because it all tied in together (in that format). My favorite part of the book is the concept of the butterfly which is mentioned in beginning of the book and also at the end. It was hard to grasp the meaning of the butterfly but the book includes questions to guide the reader through the book which I believe is very helpful.
I consider myself to be cold hearted, but to be honest when I finish this book I had a weird sensation. This book almost made me cry with the outcome of the characters’ lives. I am not sure if this is because I could partially relate the book to myself, but it was very sentimental. It would be nice to see other people's reaction to this book so i can figure out if it was just me, or if that is actually the author's purpose to make the reader feel this way. Overall i think this book was great.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Upstate.

04/06 marked as: read

message 1: by Ro (new)

Ro Cepellos First of all, I love the thoughtfulness of your recommendation. VERY unique, very specific, exactly what that option is intended for!

This is a fantastic review! You definitely make me want to read this book if for no other reason than to explore the format and try to answer your question. (I would probably cry, but then again, I cry while reading a LOT of books...)

T: 4