Lauren 's Reviews > When You Reach Me

1291915
Dec 10, 09

bookshelves: ya, fiction, audiobooks
Read in December, 2009

A little gem of a book - a unique storyline that is wonderfully crafted and executed. Miranda's character is this encapsulation of what it is to be 12 years old - going back and forth between this world of childhood and adulthood. I wouldn't really characterize this as a coming-of-age story though... more like a day-in-the-life with a twinge of mystery and sci-fi thrown into the mix. I really liked the setting in 1979... it was a lot like my childhood, so there was a nostalgic element there... Loved the little bits of fantasty woven throughout, as well as the musings and the references to late 1970s/early 1980s pop culture - the whole bit with the $20,000 Pyramid was pretty great!

Very enjoyable book ~ highly recommended.

NPR's Nancy Pearl just named this one as an "Under the Radar" book - You can read an excerpt here on NPR's website :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

12/09/2009 page 70
35.18% "I love how the chapter titles relate to the game show. Great detail!" 1 comment

Lisa You are going to love it. This book gave me the goosebumps. Can't wait to hear what you think about it.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks! i've been hearing a lot of buzz, but you've clinched it -- now i'm definitely going to read this!

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly thanks for the recommendation- i just read about it on the NYT list of best YA books of the year. it's definitely on the list now!