Britt☮'s Reviews > The Magician's Nephew

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

Mar 27, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-paranormal, kindle, kiddie, read-2010
Read from March 26 to 27, 2010

I had the whole Narnia series as a kid, but the only one I remember reading is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, so I thought I'd go back and read them all now that they're available on Kindle.

So far I can only speak for this book, but I was expecting the religious symbolism to be way more over-the-top. It's obvious to me as an adult, but I probably wouldn't have picked up on it if I had read this book as a child (okay, except for when Aslan addresses Digory and Polly as "Son of Adam" and "Daughter of Eve." I for sure would have noticed that).

(Warning: slightly off-topic rant)
Okay, to the people who complain about the new order of the books: what is the BIG FREAKIN' DEAL? Why is publication order so much better than chronological? The Magician's Nephew, which addresses the creation of Narnia and the origin of the wardrobe, was published sixth (I believe) but is chronologically first. Yes, I suppose it could be nice to have a bit of a sense of mystery while reading about Narnia, then go back and discover how it's created. But maybe some people are kind of OCD and like their story to go from start to finish instead of jumping around through time! Ever think about that? Hm???
(End of slightly off-topic rant)

Anyway, slight sexist overtones aside — which I'm willing to overlook given that it was written in the '50s — I thought this book was a fantastic adventure! I can't believe I never read this book when I was younger. I would have loved it then, as I love it now! On to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Nephew.

03/26/2010 page 79