Lynda's Reviews > Map of Bones

Map of Bones by James Rollins

Oct 02, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in January, 2006 — I own a copy

A mysterious mass murder in a cathedral in Cologne, Germany starts this book and sets a quick place. At a midnight mass, all partakers of communion were fried from the inside. Everyone else was shot. A covert sect of the U.S. government called Sigma is called together with representatives of the Vatican to piece together a puzzle that will ultimately lead them to find the Magi described in the Bible – the “Three Wise Men”.

This book is a story of their bones and an ancient secret of truth left behind in puzzles and clues so only the deserving will discover the answers. This knowledge is powerful and with it terrifying weapons could be built to control the world or bring about Armageddon. The party responsible for the mass murder in Cologne, The Dragon Court, has learned just enough to build a test weapon. Both they and the Sigma/Vatican team are racing one another to solve the mystery first.

Historical record and scientific fact are merged together in a fictional thriller. This combination happens to be my very favorite type of novel, so I enjoyed the read immensely. Some parts dragged a little and some were repetitive, since The Dragon Court and the Sigma team were always neck and neck. There were a few cool surprises and a few moles I never suspected. I can’t wait to read some of Rollins’ other novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Map of Bones.