Jake's Reviews > How I Became a Famous Novelist

How I Became a Famous Novelist by Steve Hely

Oct 02, 09

Read in September, 2009

Usually, an entry into the 'light humor' category would send me running screaming into the night, frantically searching for the $14 I just pissed away. Christopher Moore, for instance, usually makes me want to place a shotgun in my mouth. And also to kill myself.

Steve Hely falls firmly into this category. However. Hely DOES take it upon himself to eviscerate pretty much every wildly successful American author who has no right to be successful. The Pattersons, Browns, Cornwells -- they all get a bare-assed spanking here. The main character's conversation with Tom Clancy is possibly my favorite fictional conversation of the year. Of course, all these people are represented by thinly-veiled dopplegangers, but whatever. We know who they are.

Anyway. The parts where Hely comments on the state of the publishing industry and America's obsession with mediocre writers? 5 Stars. The rest? Might as well be funny vampire stories.

And for the record, Lamb, by Christopher Moore is genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Became a Famous Novelist.