Chris Wooley's Reviews > The Summoning

M_50x66
Oct 02, 09

Read in September, 2009

“The Summoning” Review

I recently finished reading “The Summoning”, by Kelley Armstrong. Overall, I have to say that it was a thoroughly enjoyable read, keeping me riveted to my seat the whole way through.
The book relates the story of a young girl, Chloe Saunders, who one day, begins to see things that other people can’t. She is taken out of school and placed in Lyle House, a group home for disturbed kids. As time goes on, however, Chloe begins to suspect that Lyle House may not be all that it appears to be. It is a tale of a young woman trying to figure out why she is being imprisoned, while also attempting to divine the terrifying visions that come to her.
I would have to recommend this book for older teen readers, due to some scary content, as well as adult themes throughout the book. It is a thrilling ride all the way. It contains elements of several genres, including a zombie horror, magical fantasy, and thriller. The characters are dynamic, you actually find yourself rooting for Chloe as she battles the evil around her, while at the same time you are cheering when her enemies cannot contain her. My personal favorite scene is when Chloe and another patient named Derrick are in the basement, when Chloe accidently raises a pair of zombies from the dead. Later, she goes back down to talk to them. The vicious wit that Armstrong endows them with kept me up laughing all night.
Overall, I found this book very entertaining. A little on the short side, leaving you craving more, but with the promise of a sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.