David Peters's Reviews > ttyl

ttyl by Lauren Myracle

Jan 07, 11

Why I read It
This book, and its two sequels, are on the most banned/protested list. I picked this one next because my library system has all three and the titles intrigued me.

The Good
This book really opened my eyes to the friendships between teenage girls. It is totally different to anything I experienced as a young man. This look into their lives was well worth the read, especially since I am only a few years away from having a teenage girl in my house.

The Bad
This is widely known as the first book written entirely in instant messages. That includes all the slang and abbreviations. Now if you are an active IM’er then it won’t be an issue, but if you are an old guy like me who has never used IM’ing, it is like learning a foreign language. Given the limits of this format, the whole plot is moved forward through the three girls’ written conversations.

The Ugly (my opinion)
I really liked this book and will definitely read the other two in the series. I also could now write an instant message and not be a total old dude. This would be appropriate for anybody 14 and up.

Why It’s Banned
Teen drinking, profanity, (discussed) nudity, and sexual situations (but no sex). I would imagine most people would protest this book because of the unconsummated plot of the “Christian” English teacher who slowly seduces the 15yo Zoe by means of his church’s youth group. Anotherwords, the religious person is the pedophile which is bound to upset a lot of the “let’s ban books” type.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ttyl.