Chrissie's Reviews > Blessed by Thunder: Memoir of a Cuban Girlhood

Blessed by Thunder by Flor Fernandez Barrios

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: caribbean, history, bio, text-checked, cuba, magic
Read from August 31 to September 10, 2011

No Spoilers!!!

I could not finish this book, but this is NOT due to a lack of interest or diappointment in the book. I enjoyed every minute spent reading the book. I am giving it four stars, because I feel to give it five is incorrect given that I did not read to the end. What I loved about the book is that you do not get just the dry facts of history aobut Fidel Castro's takeover of Cuba, but rather the facts and how these historical events shaped the lives of normal people living in Cuba at this time. You learn abbout Cuban tradtions, culture and beliefs. You get so much more from hearing of one family's experiences than by reading dry dates and names, the historical events from the newsreels.

I am hoping to return to the book in the future.

P.S. You cannot compare this book to House of Spirits. I enjoyed both immensely, but the stories are so different!. Such a comparison has no purpose. Belief in spirits and mystical powers are evident in both. Such beliefs were an integral part of the cultural backgrounnd in both books.

BEFORE READING: I was hooked when I read a bit of the text at Barnes & Noble! I loved Allende's The House of the Spirits, and I think that perhaps there really will be similarities between the two books. It is a memoir about a girl's childhood growing up under the guidance of her grandmothers and the mystical stories that were an integral part of her experiences. History too - as Cuba falls to Castro's regime.

Just tell me - how in the world can I find the time to read all these books I simply must read? Lynne - thanks again - it looks marvelous, although it certainly took me awhile to get around to reading it. Ialso want to read Waiting for Snow in Havana: Confessions of a Cuban Boy, which has a similar theme. Both are memoirs about children living in Cuba when Fidel Castro came to power.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blessed by Thunder.

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by Lynne (new) - added it

Lynne I stumbled upon this one at a library used book sale last weekend. I spent most of my money on biographies!

Chrissie It sounds fabulous. I agree totally - biographies and autobiographies are the best b/c real life is always more bizarre than anything an author could ever dream up for a novel!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura sounds interesting...

Chrissie It is, but I have been too busy to read it. I want to get back to my reading.

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia Hey Chrissie, this one sounds really interesting - why didn't you finish it in the end? Lack of time? But you're an avid reader, so I suppose you would have the time if the book had been that good. Or did you get the feeling in the middle that you've had everything out of the book for yourself and there was nothing new coming? I something get this in non-fiction or autobiographies......

Chrissie Julia, my eyes have gotten worse so I could not read the txt even with a magnifyuing glass. I loved the book. I highly recommend it.

On one hand, I thik, don't mention what is happeneing with my vision, but then people get the wrong ideas about the book. It is best to just explain clearly. Everybody has some problem!

message 4: by Julia (new)

Julia Oh Chrissie, I'm really sorry about your eyes, it must be horrible for an avid reader like you....I'm sorry for asking, this reason just never occurred to me at all....Do you listen to audiobooks a lot? And probably the kindle is good as well as you can change the size of letters (I don't have one myself, but I suppose that's possible...) I wish you all the best and a lot of health for your eyes...

Chrissie Julia, it is best that youi know the real reason. The book is great. I think I read about half before I gave up.

I cannot concentrate with audios and they are significantly more expensive than Kindle. I love my Kindle. :0) I will be testing some other possible tools. Maybe then I can read the books I have purchased. I hope so.

I don't mind at all your asking.

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia I agree on the audiobooks - I've tried listening to some while doing the laundry or in the car, but it's just not the same as reading. Also the reader will always give the book a certain note and I prefer to create my own voice in my head.
The kindle sounds great - and I think most books are already available for it, aren't they?

Chrissie Julia, many books are available. However books published even two years ago are often not available on Kindle unless they were the big sellers like Harry Potter. It is harder to find more serious literature with a smaller reading circle. There are less books available in Europe than in the US. I am not complaining. There are lots I do want to read.